Thursday, September 2, 2010

Glen Allan, Mississippi 7_28_2010

For such a small town Glen Allen had more to offer than I thought it would... Beautiful old barns, farm land as far as the eye can see, a few gas stations and a little downtown area that was all only a few minutes away from our beloved Mississippi River. I take so much pride in the fact that it has the name it does. Its something I don't think many people really think about. Its not Louisiana River or the Arkansas River or the Tennessee River or the Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin or Minnesota River. It is the Mississippi River. Our River.. Its something we should all be proud about and something we should want to take care of. I'm sorry for the tangent I just had to get that out. Glen Allan still might not sound like much to many but it was a very beautiful place.  I feel like there are many small towns scattered across the delta that no one pays attention to.  Its sad. I wish people would stop to appreciate some of these little towns. People don't realize that the old barns you see falling apart and the vacant churches you see out in a cotton field and the decrepit homes that have ivy growing over them wont always be there. Give them ten maybe fifteen more years and most of them will be a pile of decaying wood. So my job is to preserve them the only way I can... through making photographs of these interesting pieces of old architecture. So even after they are long gone they will still be preserved for others to enjoy when looking at my work.  The next time you are driving through an old town i would urge you to think about what might have happened in that place or who might of lived here or what battle might have been fought there. Most likely it wont be around forever but here are some images I took in Glen Allen that day that I hope everyone enjoys.

1 comment:

  1. The first image of the barn is quite perfect. There is such a sense of quietness and something rather spiritual about it.

    ReplyDelete